1.5 CME 1.5 CEU
John M. Morton, MD; Joe F. Nadglowski
Course Overview and Target Audience
A lack of access to bariatric surgery remains a significant barrier for those affected by severe obesity. While coverage varies by state, all states face some barriers, whether outright exclusions, high deductibles or insurer mandates of pre-operative requirements. Session will seek to answer questions from the audience of surgeons, bariatric coordinators and other integrated health on specific access problems they face and potential advocacy strategies for resolution of such challenges.
Upon completion of this activity, the participants should be able to:
- Develop specific advocacy actions to improve access to care at their practice and in their state
- Identify and utilize the essential health benefit state chapter toolkit developed by the ASMBS Access to Care Committee
- Identify and utilize the ASMBS position statements focused on key insurance barriers
- Engage in the “Art of Advocacy” to improve access to care in the long run
- Discuss how to form partnerships with surgeons, hospitals, medical professionals, industry and other advocates to engage in improving access to care.